How to Turn Boxer Briefs Into a Sports Bra?
A step-by-step guide on how to turn your old boxer briefs into a brand new sports bra.
Checkout this video:
Boxer briefs are a type of underwear that are snug fitting and extend from the waist to just above the knee. They are often made from a stretchy material such as spandex or cotton-Lycra blends. While boxer briefs can be worn by both men and women, they are most commonly associated with men.
Sports bras are designed to provide support for women during physical activity. They are usually made from stretchy, breathable materials such as Lycra or polyester and have wide straps that distribute weight evenly across the shoulders.
It is possible to convert a pair of boxer briefs into a sports bra. This can be a good option for women who want the support of a sports bra but don’t want to spend the money on a new one. It can also be useful for women who have difficulty finding sports bras that fit well.
What You’ll Need
-1 pair of boxer briefs
-Needle and thread
-1/4 yard of elastic (optional)
1. Cut the legs off the boxer briefs, just above the crotch. If your boxer briefs have a fly, you can leave it intact or cut it off.
2. Cut a slit up the center of the back of the boxer briefs, from the waistband to just below the waistband. Be careful not to cut too close to the edge of the waistband, or your shorts will fall down.
3. Try on the shorts and determine where you want the leg openings to be. Mark these with a pen or piece of chalk.
4. Cut a slit in each side of the shorts, at your mark, from the waistband to just below the waistband. Again, be careful not to cut too close to the edge of the waistband.
5. If you want your shorts to have an elastic waistband, cut a piece of 1/4″ wide elastic that is long enough to go around your hips with some overlap (about 2″). Sew one end of the elastic together with a needle and thread, then sew it to one side seam of your shorts. Sew the other end of the elastic to the other side seam in the same way.
Step One: Cut the Band
Start by cutting off the band of the boxer briefs. You can use scissors or a rotary cutter for this step.
Cut along the waistband, being careful not to cut the fabric of the briefs themselves. Once you have cut off the band, discard it or save it for another project.
Step Two: Sew on New Elastic
After you’ve cut off the old elastic, it’s time to sew on new elastic. You’ll want to make sure that the new elastic is pulled taunt so that it will provide adequate support. You can either hand-sew the new elastic on or use a sewing machine. If you’re using a sewing machine, be sure to use a strong thread that won’t break easily.
Step Three: Attach the Clasps
Now that you have your straps sewn on, it’s time to attach the clasps. You will need two small pieces of Velcro for this step. One piece should be sewn on the back of each strap, about an inch from the top. The other piece of Velcro will be used to close the sports bra in the front. Sew this piece of Velcro onto the inside of one of the straps, about an inch from the bottom.
Step Four: Try It On
Now that you’ve sewn the cups into place, it’s time to try on your new sports bra! If everything feels good and secure, congrats! You’re ready to head to the gym. If not, no worries. You can always make adjustments until it feels just right.
So, there you have it! You now know how to turn your old boxer briefs into a brand new sports bra. This simple DIY project is not only great for your wallet, but it’s also great for the environment. So, next time you’re in the market for a new sports bra, consider upcycling your old boxer briefs instead.