How to Calculate Sports Betting Odds

Looking to get into sports betting but don’t know how to calculate odds? This blog post will show you how to do just that, so you can start placing winning bets!

Checkout this video:

Introduction

Sports betting is one of the most popular forms of gambling, and it’s not hard to see why. Not only does it add an extra level of excitement to watching your favorite team or athlete, but it also gives you the opportunity to win some money.

Of course, before you can start winning money, you need to understand how sports betting odds work. In this article, we’re going to take a look at the basics of calculating sports betting odds so that you can be in a better position to place winning bets.

What are sports betting odds?

Odds are the return you can expect to receive if you win a bet. They are usually expressed as two numbers, fractions or decimals. The first number (the numerator) is how much you will win, while the second number (the denominator) is how much you need to stake to make that return. So, 4/1 odds means for every £1 you stake, you will receive £4 in return if your bet wins.

Odds can also be expressed as a probability. This is done by dividing the numerator by the sum of the numerator and denominator (e.g. 4/1 becomes 20%). So, in the example above, there is a 20% chance of that bet winning.

Understanding sports betting odds is vital to successful sports betting. To calculate odds, you need to know the likelihood or probability of an event happening. This can be estimated by looking at past results or using statistical analysis. Once you have this information, you can use it to calculate fair odds.

The most common way to express odds is known as decimal odds or European odds. This is where the odds are expressed as a decimal number, e.g. 2.00, 3.75 etc. The number shows how much you will receive in returns for every £1 staked, so in our example above with 4/1 odds, if you placed a £1 bet and won, you would receive £4 back (plus your original stake). Decimal odds are popular in Europe and many online betting sites use them

Another way of expressing sports betting odds is fractions or British odds . With this method , the Odds are expressed as a fraction , e . g . 1 / 4 , 2 / 9 etc . The lower the number , the higher the probability of that event happening . So , in our previous example with 4/ 1 decimal odds , The chance of that bet winning would be 1 /( 1 + 4) = 0 . 20 or 20 % . Fractions are popular In Britain and Ireland

How are sports betting odds calculated?

The most common way to bet on sports is with point spreads. The point spread is the number of points that the oddsmakers believe one team will win or lose by. For example, let’s say that the New England Patriots are playing the Miami Dolphins. The oddsmakers believe that the Patriots will win by four points. So, if you bet on the Patriots, you need them to win by more than four points for you to win your bet. If they win by exactly four points, then it’s a push, and your bet is refunded.

If you bet on the Dolphins, you need them to lose by less than four points or win the game outright for you to win your bet. If they lose by exactly four points, then it’s a push, and your bet is refunded.

The point spread is just one way to bet on sports. There are also moneyline bets, which are simply wagers on which team will win the game outright without any regard for the point spread. These bets usually involve heavy underdogs, and there is no point spread involved.

In addition to point spread and moneyline bets, there are also totesport bets, which involve betting on the total score of a game. For example, let’s say that the total score of a game between the Patriots and Dolphins is set at 41 points. If you bet on the over, you need both teams to score more than 41 points for you to win your bet. If both teams score exactly 41 points, then it’s a push and your bet is refunded.

If you bet on the under, you need both teams to score less than 41 points for you to win your bet. If both teams score exactly 41 points, then it’s a push and your bet is refunded

Factors that affect sports betting odds

The bookmaker’s margin (or vigorish) is the percentage or commission charged on each bet. Bettors usually have to pay this charge in order to place a bet, and it is generally factored into the odds. For example, if you place a bet on a team that has +100 odds, the bookmaker may charge you a 5% commission, meaning your payout will be calculated as if the odds were only 95%. The bookmaker’s margin can vary considerably from one bookmaker to another, so it’s always a good idea to compare commissions before placing a bet.

The betting public plays a significant role in sports betting odds. Bookmakers will often adjust their lines in order to attract bets on both sides of the line. If too much money is being wagered on one team, the bookmaker will usually lower the odds on that team in order to encourage more bets on the other team. This balancing act helps to ensure that bookmakers don’t get overwhelmed with bets on one particular event.

Finally, sports betting odds are also affected by general market conditions. When the stock market is doing well, for example, people tend to be more willing to take chances and bet on underdog teams. Conversely, when the stock market is struggling, people are generally more conservative with their bets and are more likely to stick with favorites. These trends can be helpful for making predictions about how sports betting lines will move in the future.

How to use sports betting odds to your advantage

Figuring out sports betting odds can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be. With a little bit of math and some basic knowledge of how sports betting works, you can easily calculate sports betting odds and figure out which bets are worth placing.

Here’s a basic rundown of how to calculate sports betting odds:

First, you need to know the likelihood of an event happening. This is called the “implied probability.” For example, if a team is listed as a +200 underdog, that means there’s only a 33% chance that they’ll win (since 200 divided by 300 equals approximately 33).

Once you know the implied probability of an event, you can use that information to figure out the “fair” price for a bet. To do this, simply divide 100 by the implied probability. So, in our +200 example above, 100 divided by 33 equals 3. That means that a fair price for a bet on the underdog would be +300 (since 3 multiplied by 100 equals 300).

Of course, sportsbooks don’t always offer fair prices on bets. That’s where your knowledge of implied probability comes in handy. By comparing the fair price with the actual price being offered by the sportsbook, you can figure out which bets are “value” bets (bets that are priced lower than they should be) and which bets are “sucker” bets (bets that are priced higher than they should be).

Conclusion

This concludes our guide on how to calculate sports betting odds. We hope that this has been helpful and informative, and that you now feel equipped to go out and calculate the betting odds on your favorite sports. Remember, the key is to have fun and enjoy the game!

Scroll to Top